When you ask many people what is the Function Of The Civil Society In Nigeria, with the responses from many, you will be posed to start educating many on what Civil Society is and what they do, how they help the nation and individual who are members of the various society.
So in our topic today, we will channel our efforts to reveal to you the Function Of Civil Society In Nigeria and some examples of this society, read along with us patiently.
FUNCTIONS OF CIVIL SOCIETY IN NIGERIA
The Functions Of Civil Society groups in Nigeria is the main reason why this article is written. Some of the functions of civil society in Nigeria are:
- Functions of Civil Society In Nigeria
- Every Civil society at all level and states make the government be effective, responsive and accountable. They help check and regulate the excess the state of the government may want to poise to threaten the right of every member or the right of a human. They call the attention of people in charge to see the area they have not been taking serious and have been affecting human or workers or the members of such society.
- They help educate the masses to engage them more in political participation and encourage them on what they stand to benefits if they take part in the political activities of their various states and local government.
- They educate and breed leaders that will sustain the national heritage in future to come.
- They carry the general masses along on some salient matters that they may not take note of and help seek redress to such issues with appropriate bodies that needed to intervene in such matter.
- They help to stand in the gap to settle cases that may lead to war and conflict in the society.
- They help raise and arose the political behavior and attitude that is expected from the citizens of Nigeria.
- Qualities and Characteristics of Civil Society
- It enables peaceful and deliberate participation in democratic processes.
- It helps to build formidable leaders that can mediate between the society or community that is suffering neglects and government.
- It is not profited targeted scheme.
- They help to initiate the peace process of demanding for one’s right and entitlement from the government or the bodies that may want to take advantage of the community.
In Nigeria there various examples of the Civil Society, here is the list of few that are prominent and have to embark on more course to see to the real definition of what the society represents.
- PANDEF - Pan Niger Delta Forum
- Arewa People's Congress
- Centre for International Volunteers for Youth Development (C4144YD)
- Oodua People’s Congress
- Ohanaeze Ndigbo
- Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta
- Centre for Women, Youth and Community Action (NACWYCA)
- Nigeria Labour Congress
- Centre for Information Technology and Development (CITAD)
- Initiative for Food Environment and Health Society (IFEHS)
- Guiding Principles of Civil Society
There are fundamentally three standing principles that the Civil Society is hinged on and they are;
- The participatory engagement principle; this principle simply outlined that all the members of the civil society or group should and have access to take part or participate in the group and any activities the group is carrying out.
- The Constitutional Authority Principle: this simply means all members that are card-carrying members and are fully registered with the group have all the right to be protected and defended all the time.
- The Moral Responsibility Principle: what this principle seeks to explain is that all the members that are registered with any Civil Society have a moral responsibility to use her or his freedom in the ways that will not poise a treat to the human right of others.
- Problems Of Civil Society In Nigeria
Despite having more than enough civil society around, the impact or effect of all of these societies are hardly felt, they have become a fearful looking dogs that cannot bite, they have suddenly become a press statement men who cannot demonstrate exactly what they have threatened to do and actions they have all agree to do, there are some factors that are responsible for this, we will be writing on them shortly.
- Political Instability
One of the biggest lion contending with this society is the instability of government that oversees the affairs of this organization. Changes in the military to civilian rules have posted a lot of threat to these groups. Also, the leaders of most of these groups that are acquitted with what the group is supposed to be are often changed and government and power are been shifted to those that know nothing but little about the office they are holding.
- Lack Of Proper Awareness By Nigerian Citizens.
Most civil societies are not grounded with norms and tenets that is governing the power, basic right of the members of these societies, the goals and best strategy to deploy in order to carry out the intended action and set out goals.
- Political Illiteracy Of Nigerians
Most of the citizen of Nigeria are not politically oriented, most of them lack the knowledge of the rules and constitutional right of the citizens. We can say over 50 percent of the citizens do not know their right under the law, some of them are threatened with what they ought to refute with everything within them but choose to agree to it because they do not know their entitlement under the constitution.
- Lack Of Unity
Another contributing factor that is delaying the growth and hindering the effective function of the civil society in Nigeria is lack of Unity. As the popular statement that says a house that is a divide on itself cannot stand. So, why many actions and plans of some of these societies fail is as a result of lack of unity among the members and the leaders of these societies. Some leaders actions are not always supported by the members because of self-view and many other actions that are not printable.
- Inadequate Funding
Many sectors crumple and fall today, not because of any other thing but as a result of lack of fund, for any society to thrive well and perform above human rating, there is always the availability of resources.
Many of the actions of societies are halted as a result of the lack of fund and many other factors that have been listed or will be listed soon.
- Involvement In Partisan Politics
Many of the leaders and followers in this society are partisan in their political participation, they are too committed to a political party and as a result of the little emolument coming from this party, they are blinded to the right of other and standing against the tenet the society is hinged on, many of the leaders are even holding high position in the party they participate in and it will stop them from having the full right to fight for the right of the members in the society.
- Lack Of Internal Democracy And Other Skills
There are no peace or practical approach to what the society stands to represent from the structure of the organization an how her leaders relate to the members, and how the members also relate with the general public which is to show what and how civil society should literarily represent.
- Corruption And Personal Enrichment
Most time, there cases and report of where the leaders of these societies receive some secret amount of money from the government to stop their hidden actions or support the government on the action that may not go down well with the government.
Some of the leaders of this society in a bid of getting pay and reaping the general members of the society of their right and allotting all the benefits of the members to their personal fund collide with the government to carry out the intent of the government on the general masses.
- Solutions To Challenges Faced By Civil Society In Nigeria
- There should be proper orientation from the group down to the society and awareness or the evil that follows corrupt practices or negligence of the group.
- There should be a demonstration and sensitization program to reach out to the general public on their civil right.
- There should be education and seminar on political participation in Nigeria and how to maintain one stand in the ideology that has been set to help the nation.
- The interest of all the members of the society should be considered and try to be put into practices to avoid division of such society.
- Personal funding and voluntary giving and funding should be encouraged so as to avoid the cases of corruption and soliciting for the unnecessary fund from the government.
Conclusion On Functions Of Civil Society In Nigeria
We have written on all you need to know about civil societies, by now you should know some of the areas you should call to action the civil society in your environment to actions. Also, you can as well drop your view on this subject matter to share your ideas with others reading this post, your feedback; suggestion and review are all welcome
Tag: Functions Of Civil Society In Nigeria